Sterling Is The Solution to Your Bed Bug Problem!
Do you have a bed bug problem and don’t know what to do?
Bed bugs are nasty little critters that multiply quickly and create a large health hazard if not taken care of quickly AND properly.
Did you know that:
- Adults bed bugs are usually no more than 1/4” long, oval in shape and flat.
- They are generally brown except after sucking a blood meal. They then become swollen and change to a dark red color.
- They can engorge themselves with human blood in less than 15 minutes. (Then becoming up to 3 times their usual size.)
- A female can lay between 1-5 eggs per day, laying more than 200 eggs in her lifetime.
- Newly hatched bed bugs will immediately seek a blood meal and require 5 significant blood feedings to reach adult size.
- It only takes hatched nymphs 5 weeks to grow to maturity.
- A well fed bedbug can live anywhere from 4-6 months and a dormant one can live up to a year without feeding!
Here’s a chart of the life cycle of a bed bug:
How can you tell if you have a bed bug infestation?
- You wake up with red, itchy bites, usually in a row or cluster. Be careful though as scratching the bites can cause an infection!
- Reddish brown stains on bedding, mattress, walls or other hiding areas
- Actually seeing bed bugs or their molted skin casings or eggs, although the eggs are hard to see with the naked eye as they’re clear and resemble dust particles.
These are some of the common places to look for bed bugs:
- Mattresses or bedding materials
- Folded clothing
- Drapery pleats or hems
You’ll also find them behind:
- Loose wallpaper
- Pictures hanging on the wall
- Cracks in the walls
- Under carpets
Wondering what bed bugs or evidence of them looks like? Check out these photos so you’ll recognize them when you see them:
Call Sterling Insect & Lawn Control today at (207) 767-5555 and let us make sure you don’t have to worry about these pests ruining your beauty sleep!