Silverfish like to eat matter that has a high starch content. Some examples of what they will eat include:
- Sugar & flour
- Clothing & fabric
- Molds & fungi
- Glue & paste
- Book bindings
In the house silverfish can be found in…
- On closet shelves
- Behind baseboards
- Behind wallpaper
- In window & door frames
- In crevices of walls and floors
Did you know that:
- Silverfish are about 1/2″ – 1″ long.
- Their bodies are broad at the head and taper down towards the tail.
- They have long, slender, flattened bodies covered with shiny silver scales.
- They have 2 antennae at the head and 3 long appendages at the tail.
- Silverfish are extremely fast.
- A female can lay up to 100 eggs during her lifespan.
- They live on average about 3 years, but can live up to 8.
- When silverfish first hatch they lack scales, are about 1/20″ long, and are white in color.
- They can live for up to 1 year without eating.
- They prefer dark, moist environments.
- They can cause moderate damage in homes, due to where they feed.
Sterling Insect & Lawn Control (207) 767-5555